Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dieting Should Not Be This Hard!

I am walking around the grocery store and the first area we go to is produce. It started off ok, I didnt get grapes because they were so darn expensive and they didn't have my peaches I needed but I stroll on. Normally I don't eat too much junk like chips and crackers but I do love my sweets, breads, pastas and cheeses. I walk through those aisles and start to feel like my eyes are swelling up about to cry as I am passing by all the food I really enjoy. What the heck is wrong with me? I can't find anything to eat and I am in the grocery store!

Mark is moving right along... he is doing really well on this Paleo diet. He is grabbing things im not too familiar with like coconut milk, coconut oil, some kind of sprouted wheat bread for me to try. Some of these foods he eats seem like so much work to put together even though they are probably not and don't seem as versatile as pasta. For instance, we tried spaghetti squash. It was ok but nothing like the delicious taste of pasta with sauce and cheese all over it and a side of yummy garlic bread! mmm! 

I am not opposed to eating healthy at all. I think my diet was fair to good in that area, but my problem is what I loved to eat, my sweets, breads, pastas etc were messing with my body. These are foods I have always eaten and I really enjoy eating them. I have always been one of those people who could eat anything and never gain a pound. I was always super skinny even after I had my kids. I remember TRYING to GAIN weight in high school. Just recently I started putting on some weight which for me, is a good thing. Like most women though, I have this stomach that I need to work on and tone. I was running for a little while but then started having this pain when running. 

Mark tried to convince me to try this paleo diet and I refused. I am stubborn. Then nothing else was on tv except Dr. Oz so I was watching it and they were talking about the paleo diet so I listened. After watching the show I did learn some interesting things about it. A few days after that I had a Dr. appointment and talked about my stomach problems with her and she confirmed that it could all be a result of my endometriosis. This is when I gave into the idea of trying to diet. 

I recently found out after a while of dealing with symptoms, that I have endometriosis.  I found out after talking with my doctor that the two could be intertwined. I would have intense stomach cramps and feel pretty bloated. I had a lot of heart burn too. Now I feel like the pain is under control for now and plan to start running again soon. 

My body is just getting into this new way of eating. I decided to try my best to avoid as much junky foods as possible, dairy, and processed foods until my body was stable and used to this new way of eating, then slowly reintroduce some foods back into my diet to see what foods are causing me to feel ill. 

I always thought whole wheat was really good for you. Apparently not as much as I had thought; not for me anyways. One thing I just discovered today is that I can not eat my whole wheat english muffins with peanut butter. I think the english muffin and not the peanut butter caused my body to react. I went about a week without having these english muffins then today I had one and I had some problems with my stomach. 

For a few weeks now I have been eating greek yogurt instead of regular dairy yogurt. I have swapped the occasional chip for pita-chips and hummus. Instead of candy I am reaching for my fruit. Instead of crackers im eating seeds, nuts, or granola. I haven't had a cup of milk in about a week and instead I am trying almond milk and drinking more water. All of these changes are making me feel pretty horrible in a sense right now because my body is adjusting. Mark said the same thing happened to him in the beginning also. 

In a nutshell, I don't plan to never have dairy or bread again but I do need to have these things I love in moderation. I do need to find out what foods are ok for me to have without my body feeling like it just got run over. This is a new experience for me and I see now why it is so hard for people to diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment