Thursday, July 1, 2021

My spouse is in the military and...

(Originally written around 2010-2011)

I want to go to college!

College certainly is not for everyone, and not everyone needs to go to college to be successful, but for some people it is the right decision. 

Very briefly, I will mention that it has taken me about 9 years to finally earn 2 degrees and my license as a Practical Nurse. Many may say well, it is just an associates of arts degree or its just your LPN license. To me, it is so much more than that and for you too, it will be much more than that.

I value my education and take it pretty serious. What I have earned, despite how minimal it may seem to some, is equivalent of winning the lottery to me. In 9 years we have had 2 children, owned 3 homes, moved 4 times, and were still able to go to college. My husband received his associates degree and made chief 2 years ago. We have both been fairly busy people.

To give you a perspective on why I value education, a piece of that comes from my family background. My mother became a mother at age 16, and a grandmother at about age 32. She dropped out of high school but eventually did get her diploma and later completed a college program. My father did not make it past an 8th grade level of education and 2 out of 3 of my brothers did not complete high school. As a kid and teenager, what may have been "failures" in their eyes, it really was a blessing for me because college was my only option although I was never really sure I would stick with it or even sincerely go.

I would like to address the fears many military spouses have regarding having to choose whether to go to college or raise a family and how it can be done. You can do both successfully as long as you are determined and have a good support system at home. It definitely is not an easy task but when it is all over you get such a feeling of pride and accomplishment that you completed your goal. What may take some 2 years to finish may take you 4 years but do not lose focus of the ultimate goal; completing school.

Money is a big factor for some and while your spouse can transfer some of his G.I. bill to you, that could be taking away from him using it if he is wanting to go to college. We did both. The first few years of school we paid out of pocket, got minimal financial aid, and put my college bills (and even some daycare) on student loans. Eventually there was a program for military spouses called "MYCAA" that came out which you can learn about more here. https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/default.aspx

Here is another site that has scholarship information which will open up in December http://www.militaryfamily.org/our-programs/military-spouse-scholarships/

One place that really helped me just before I left Pensacola Florida was Workforce Escarosa. You can find info at the following website, click on programs, then military family. This was an excellent program that has so much to offer. http://www.workforceescarosa.com/

If you are a parent, and feel that if you go to school it will take away time you have with your family it does not have to. When my kids were babies, I was one of those mothers who followed many of the the "attachment parenting" ways of raising my boys. I made some of their baby foods, used slings to carry them, breast fed, co-slept etc. I also worked before my second child was born. I made school work for us by balancing family time and school time. Some days while in nursing school, I remember reading my assignment to my son as if I was teaching him. Sometimes he would actually listen. Other times he scribbled in my text book but that's ok! :)

We have a lot going on as military spouses. Will there ever be an ideal time to go to college? will you ever really have enough money or time? The answer is no. There is not. If what you want to do in life requires a degree, go for it today. You will have prerequisite classes to work on before you can get started on your core classes. You could go to school part time or even online. One college I went to online that was great for spouses was Coastline Community College. I earned 2 degrees from this school and they also accepted many credits I had from other schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment